Friday, December 17, 2010

CANNING

So I know I haven't blogged for a REALLY LONG TIME. And I don't really have a very good excuse, other than the typical "Things have been super busy" the past couple months. So I am going to do a quick catch up with a lot of pictures and not so much talk.

I did some more canning this year. Not as much as last year because I still had a ton from last year, so we just tried to eat a lot of fresh and save the canned and frozen stuff for the winter. It worked out well!!

I did do a couple of things this year though. I did peaches again, because my kids LOVE them and they are great for pies and cobblers. And I tried a couple of new things too. I did pears, which were a HUGE pain, but worth it cuz they are super yummy, and then I did apple juice, which is WAY YUMMY too!! :)





Oakleigh had fun helping me pick our apples. I think she ate more than she put in the box!! :)








My mother and father in law have this way cool juicer. All you do is wash the apples off and throw them in the grinder and it chops them up and drops them into the bucket thing with a cheese cloth like bag. Once the bag is full you put the lid on and start cranking and out comes the juice!!







Sorry about these last couple of pictures. I forgot to turn them.









After your bowl is full you just dump the juice in your pots and boil it. Then you pour it into your jars, put the lids on and wait for them to seal!!! It's AWESOME!! I LOVE it!! The juice is so sweet that we don't have to add sugar or water!! I am definitley doing this again next year!! Even the kids had fun helping.






And these are my pears. I will probably do these again next year too. Along with everything else since my food storage will be empty!! :0

No comments: