Friday, September 12, 2008

HELP!!

K, so I know that I should probably be blogging all of our happy, exciting, positive moments, but this one is not. This post is more like a cry for help.
As I have posted earlier, my incredibly handsome fabulous five year old little boy started kindergarten this year. He was so excited. But for some reason things are not going so well. He is not so excited anymore. He has only been in school for 3 weeks and already is teacher is telling me that he doesn't want to do his work. He will not pick up his pencil, or his crayons unless she is standing over him every second making sure he is working. They had these state required tests last week to see how the kids are doing and at what level they are learning. His teacher sent home a note with his score on it. She said that he scored a 1. A 1? She said that he only recognized one letter in 1 minute. WHAT? Are you serious? When I went in for Parent Teacher Conference at the end of the year last year his pre-school teacher showed me the results from the exact same test and he knew 24 letters then. How does that happen? So what do I do? I go to Walmart last night and buy him some flash cards so that I can help him. I sit down with him, mix up the flash cards and start showing them to him. The little stinker knows all of them except 2. He thinks the Z is an S and he struggles with the N. So it's not that he doesn't know his stuff, it's just that he doesn't want to do it.
HELP?!?! Does anyone have any suggestions?

3 comments:

Shana Dee said...

Hi, I don't have kids but maybe he needs a new teacher or he doesn't feel like he needs to do something he already knows or the class isn't leaning fast enough for him. One thing is not to let the school classify him as having a problem. For some reason they really like to do that these days. (as told to me by one of my clients who is a Elementary Principal) Also, I'm sure you arn't the only parent who has struggled with this. Good Luck

Melanie said...

Hey Megan! Sorry about your little guy. I wish I could tell you that it gets easier, but it doesn't. They test these little kids like you don't believe! I saw this all the time when I taught. It sounds like he knows his stuff, but something else is going on. What I would do is get him used to the time thing. All the IRI is based around time. Practice with him and let him know that he will be tested and timed and maybe he will do better. I know in the winter that they test the letter names and sounds. Maybe it's something else like his teacher or other kids. It's kinda hard to dive into the minds of 5 year olds! Good luck!

Nalder family said...

ohh sorry megan, that is so tuff!! i wish i could have some awesome adive to give ya other than hang in there. sounds bad, but maybe a special prize after so long doing his work for the teacher. or maybe if you can go in weekly and help with the class so you can see what is going on first hand. hang in there!!